Frequently Asked Questions

Mental Health Course Key Dates

What are the semester dates?

Our semester dates differ depending on the course you are studying. The current and future semester dates can be found in the academic calendar.

How long is each semester?

Applied Mental Health Studies:

  • 15 weeks of study (plus a two-week mid-semester break).

Psychiatric Medicine:

  • 18 weeks of study (plus a two-week mid-semester break).

Semester dates can be found in the academic calendar.

What is a census date?

Census date is the date at which your enrolment is considered to be final. It is the last day you can withdraw from a course without financial or academic penalty.

If you intend to withdraw but don't do so before midnight on the census date you are liable to pay the course fee and will incur an academic penalty. It's also the day that all HELP arrangements (FEE-HELP) are finalised. You can find the census date for each semester in the academic calendar.

Mental Health Course Advanced Standing

What is advanced standing?

Advanced standing (or recognition of prior learning) is when your previous studies or skills are recognised and counted towards your qualification, meaning you may not need to complete a unit or units within your course.

When is the closing date for advanced standing?

Applications for advanced standing close two weeks prior to the start of the Semester. Each year the closing dates are updated on the academic calendar.

Unfortunately, advanced standing will not be granted where an application has been made after the approved application closing date.

How do I apply for advanced standing?

You can apply for advanced standing using the Application for Advanced Standing Form. This form should be attached to your online application.

Is there a fee to apply for advanced standing?

Usually there are no fees for advanced standing applications, however, if you are asked to submit an assessment to assess your prior knowledge a fee of 20% of the unit cost will apply.

How far back will qualification count towards advanced standing?

Advanced standing is not normally granted for studies completed 10 years or more prior to application.

How much advanced standing can I apply for?

Normally, the maximum advanced standing that can be granted towards a postgraduate course is 50% of the total credit points for the course.

For example, the Graduate Certificate contains four units, so a maximum of two units could be granted as advanced standing.

What if I don’t agree with the outcome?

You can appeal decisions on the approval of advanced standing if there is:

  • evidence of a procedural error; or
  • evidence that the decision does not give appropriate recognition of previous study

Information on the procedure for appealing an Advanced Standing decision can be found in the Advanced Standing Policy.

Will a HETI Higher Education course give me advanced standing at another university?

This is possible; however, the decision is at the discretion of individual institutions. Please contact the institution directly for information on their application for advanced standing process.

How long does a course take?

We offer three “nested” levels of award qualifications. If you choose to study two units per semester (the maximum), you will complete your studies in the following timeframes:

  • Graduate Certificate (one year)
  • Graduate Diploma (two years)
  • Masters (three years)

If you choose to study one unit per semester, you will complete your studies in the following timeframes:

  • Graduate Certificate (two years)
  • Graduate Diploma (four years)
  • Masters (six years)

It is also possible for students to study single units.

What are the entry requirements?

You will need a medical degree to apply for the Psychiatric Medicine framework, whereas the Applied Mental Health Studies framework is open to a wide range of professionals.

Entry requirements are different for each course and may vary based on your skills, previous qualifications and experience.

How is the course delivered?

Online learning is the mode of delivery for all Applied Mental Health Studies and Psychiatric Medicine courses:

  • onsite at our North Parramatta campus
  • online via live video conferencing
  • online with delayed participation
  • a combination

Can I study part-time?

You can choose to study either one or two units per semester, both of which are considered part-time loads. Students are encouraged to discuss options with a Cohort Convenor.

What is the work load?

You can expect to study for approximately 10 hours per week, for each unit.  Some weeks this may be less, others it may be more (e.g. near assessment due dates).

Study activities may include participating in seminars, tutorials, web forums, learning activities, or completing readings.

This estimation is the same across all our units, regardless of whether you are enrolled at graduate certificate or master's level.

How do I change my unit enrolment or withdraw from the course?

All actions can be completed in myHETIconnect, 'Courses and Units' Tab.

It is important that you make changes to your enrolment before census date otherwise you will be liable for unit fees (including FEE-HELP) and will incur an academic penalty unless special circumstances apply.

How do I apply for an extension?

From Semester 2, 2020, if you are experiencing an unexpected circumstance, such as a misadventure, illness or accident, you can request an extension for up to one week in myHETIconnect 'Student Details & Request' Tab.

For assessment extensions of one week, you will not be required to submit supporting documentation. It is important that you apply before your assessment due date otherwise a late penalty will apply.

How do I apply for special consideration?

From Semester 2, 2020, if you are experiencing an unexpected circumstance, such as a misadventure, illness or accident, you can request special consideration for extensions of beyond two weeks in myHETIconnect 'Student Details & Request' Tab.

If you are affected by unexpected circumstances that require longer than one-week extension, you will need to upload supporting documentation to your request which will be reviewed by our Director Education and Training.

All notifications of assessment extensions and requests for special consideration will be managed through myHETIconnect.

A related document is the Special Consideration Policy.

How do I update my personal details?

You can update and manage your personal details via myHETIconnect.

I have a disability, or accessibility requirement, how do I get support?

When you apply online you will be invited to identify learning support needs and accessibility requirements. You will then be contacted by a member of our team who will work with you to determine appropriate supports for your studies.

If you would like to let us know about a disability or accessibility requirement after the application process has been completed, please contact a Cohort Convenor.

I would like to continue my studies, how do I re-enrol?

Each year you can access the online application to let us know which units you intend to study.

I have completed my studies, how do I graduate?

Congratulations on completing your studies! You do not need to do anything. We will contact you early in the year to confirm that you are eligible to graduate if you have not re-enrolled. Learn more about graduation.

Mental Health Course Enrolments

Do you accept mid-year enrolments?

We accept mid-year enrolments via our online application. Please see the academic calendar for application deadlines.

How do I enrol?

Enrolment is easy with our user-friendly online application. Learn more about applying to study at HETI Higher Education. You can also contact our Student Support Team for assistance.

What supporting documentation is required?

The online application will provide you with a checklist. It will ask you for:

  • certified copies of academic transcripts
  • copy of photo ID (e.g. driver’s license or passport)
  • other documentation

Find information on how to certify documents.

Can I enrol straight into the Graduate Diploma or Masters?

Our courses are nested, which means that you will start at the Graduate Certificate course and progress through to the Graduate Diploma and then to the Master course.

You can apply for advanced standing to recognise your prior study and experience.

What are the unit fees?

View current fees at HETI Higher Education, which may vary each year.

When are fees due?

Unit fees are due by the census date each semester.

How do I pay?

All payments are completed via myHETIconnect 'Finance Tab'.

For full details of payment options click here

Where can I get more information on FEE-HELP?

View information on FEE-HELP and study assistance from the government or within the FEE-HELP Information Booklet.

Am I eligible for FEE-HELP?

You are eligible for FEE-HELP if you:

  • are studying at an approved FEE-HELP provider such as HETI Higher Education
  • meet the citizenship and residency requirements
  • are enrolled in an eligible unit of study by the census date
  • have not exceeded the FEE-HELP limit

Please see the FEE-HELP Information Booklet for more information.

How do I apply for FEE-HELP?

All applications for FEE-HELP are completed via myHETIconnect 'Courses and Units' Tab. Once you have accepted your Letter of Offer, this tab will be made available.

What is the FEE-HELP application deadline?

The application deadline is 2 weeks prior to the census date. The specific date is included in the academic calendar.

What happens if I withdraw after census?

If you withdraw from a unit after the census date you will still have to pay your tuition fees or FEE-HELP loan (depending on your payment method). This will occur regardless of whether you have submitted assessments or plan to repeat the unit.

If you have experienced some unexpected extenuating circumstances, you may be eligible to apply for special consideration. Please contact a Cohort Convenor to discuss your options.

Mental Health Course Career Prospects

How can Applied Mental Health Studies further my career?

Gaining postgraduate qualifications or participating in postgraduate units for professional development purposes is a way of demonstrating your knowledge and expertise to an employer.

Your studies can support career progression or may support a career change from a general setting to the mental health field, or a specialised area within mental health such as working in perinatal, child and youth, adult or older person’s services.

Students from a range of professions such as nursing, speech pathology, early childhood educators, psychology and social work have benefited from our course.

Learn more about HETI Higher Education’s student experience.

How can the Psychiatric Medicine course further my career?

The Psychiatric Medicine framework is open to doctors who have an interest in enhancing their mental health practice. It may support career progression within the field of mental health as it is a formal demonstration of knowledge and skills. Students who choose to specialise may advance their career with specialist knowledge that is tailored to general practice or rural and remote settings.

Psychiatry trainees

Our courses are designed to provide a three-year Formal Education Course (FEC) for Stages 1 and 2 of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP) Training Program.

Both award and non-award pathways are offered as approved FECs to prepare psychiatry trainees for RANZCP Fellowship exams.

Mental Health Course International Students

Can I study from overseas?

Yes. Overseas or offshore students can undertake their study through online learning while located overseas. Our courses are designed to ensure equivalent student learning outcomes regardless of geographical location or mode of study.

Note: Students applying for Psychiatric Medicine courses must have Australian or New Zealand medical registration. Please see entry requirements.

I am an international student wishing to study in Australia. Can I apply for one of your courses?

No, unfortunately we are not a provider with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and therefore are unable to accept applications from international students wishing to become Australian student visa holders.

You are welcome to apply to study with us if you reside overseas and do not require an Australian Student Visa.

What are the English language requirements for entry to a course?

If your relevant qualification is not in English, you will need to demonstrate competency in written and spoken English. This may involve completion of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of band 7.0 and no sub score less than 6.0.For more information please see Entry Requirements.

Do you offer any Scholarships for your courses and units?

Learn more about available scholarships to support your studies.

Mental Health Course Specialisation

What Specialisations do you offer?

Students studying Applied Mental Health Studies can choose to specialise in:

Learn more about Applied Mental Health Studies.

Students studying Psychiatric Medicine can choose no specialisation, or can choose to specialise in:

Learn more about studying Psychiatric Medicine.

Mental Health Course Required Technology

Do I need any special equipment or software to study?

Our online learning environment  “myHETI” is delivered via a Moodle platform which you access via a web link. This will be supplied prior to semester once you are enrolled. A stable internet connection will enhance your study experience.

We use Zoom web conferencing for ‘face-to-face’ discussions, seminars, tutorials and workshops. Zoom is best used with a headset and a web camera. Zoom is also available via a smart phone application. It is possible to dial into a Zoom session via a landline if you are in a remote area, however you will not be able to view visual parts of the discussion.

Who can apply?

Doctors, Psychiatry Trainees, General Practitioners and Rural and Remote specialists with a passion for improving mental health and wellbeing.

To enrol in the Psychiatric Medicine framework, you must hold current medical registration in Australia or New Zealand and at least one year of documented experience as a practicing doctor.

Any doctor meeting general requirements may enrol without a specialisation. If specialisation is sought in Psychiatry, General Practice or Rural and Remote medicine, additional requirements apply.

Learn more about entry requirements.

What is the difference between the award and non-award pathway for RANZCP trainees?

Both award and non-award pathways are approved Formal Education Courses (FECs) accredited by the RANZCP and require students to complete coursework and participation requirements.

Award pathway:

  • Students complete assessments, along with coursework and participation requirements.
  • Students accrue Higher Education Credit and on completion of requirements will receive a degree qualification.
  • Students may be eligible for FEE-HELP.

Professional development (non-award) pathway:

  • Students are not required to complete assessments.
  • Students will not accrue Higher Education Credit that could be counted towards a degree qualification.
  • A lower fee structure applies. Tuition fees can be viewed on the Fees page.

I am not an accredited RANCZP trainee. Can I still enrol in the course?
Yes, doctors with an interest in mental health care are welcome to apply, if you want to enrol in the psychiatry specialisation, you require a letter of support from your supervisor. Please see the Psychiatric Medicine entry requirements for more detail.

Do I have to come to campus for seminars every week?
No, we offer flexible study options. You can elect to learn:

  • onsite at our campus
  • online through live video web conferencing
  • online through delayed online participation
  • a combination of these - the choice is yours

Can I change from on campus study to online study during semester?

If you would like to change your preferred mode of delivery, please contact a Cohort Convenor who will update your records.