Psychiatric Medicine Questions

Who can apply?

Doctors, Psychiatry Trainees, General Practitioners and Rural and Remote specialists with a passion for improving mental health and wellbeing.

To enrol in the Psychiatric Medicine framework, you must hold current medical registration in Australia or New Zealand and at least one year of documented experience as a practicing doctor.

Any doctor meeting general requirements may enrol without a specialisation. If specialisation is sought in Psychiatry, General Practice or Rural and Remote medicine, additional requirements apply.

Learn more about entry requirements.

What is the difference between the award and non-award pathway for RANZCP trainees?

Both award and non-award pathways are approved Formal Education Courses (FECs) accredited by the RANZCP and require students to complete coursework and participation requirements.

Award pathway:

  • Students complete assessments, along with coursework and participation requirements.
  • Students accrue Higher Education Credit and on completion of requirements will receive a degree qualification.
  • Students may be eligible for FEE-HELP.

Professional development (non-award) pathway:

  • Students are not required to complete assessments.
  • Students will not accrue Higher Education Credit that could be counted towards a degree qualification.
  • A lower fee structure applies. Tuition fees can be viewed on the Fees page.

I am not an accredited RANCZP trainee. Can I still enrol in the course?
Yes, doctors with an interest in mental health care are welcome to apply, if you want to enrol in the psychiatry specialisation, you require a letter of support from your supervisor. Please see the Psychiatric Medicine entry requirements for more detail.

Do I have to come to campus for seminars every week?
No, we offer flexible study options. You can elect to learn:

  • onsite at our campus
  • online through live video web conferencing
  • online through delayed online participation
  • a combination of these - the choice is yours

Can I change from on campus study to online study during semester?

If you would like to change your preferred mode of delivery, please contact a Cohort Convenor who will update your records.